Druckansicht der Internetadresse:

Language Centre

Print page


Hi, how are you doing?

We need your consent to load content.
In order to show videos we use the services of third-party providers. These providers can collect data about your activities. Further details can be found under “Learn more”.


1) Which English courses can I take and when?Hide

Most English courses are offered in both the winter and summer semester. ​Please note that the courses can only take place if the minimum number of participants is reached.

English for Academic Purposes (Open to All)

English for Medicine and Health Sciences

English for International Students

English Courses for Doctoral Students

UNIcert-III-Courses (including courses for Law students)

Course Descriptions (All courses)

2a) I study Law and have to take language courses. Which English courses should I take?Hide

Here you will find details of the Legal English programme for JAPO §24 as well as information on the language component of the Freischussregelung JAPO §37.

2b) What do I need to know if I am enrolled on a B.Sc. Business/Economics programme and wish to take English courses?Hide

Language courses are compulsory for some Business/Economics degree programmes. Check your exam regulations (Prüfungsordnungen) here.


  • Betriebswirtschaftslehre cf. below
  • Gesundheitsökonomie - Modulbereich C (Schlüsselqualifikationen)
  • Sportökonomie - Modulbereich E (Schlüsselqualifikationen)
  • Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen - Modulbereich A  (Überfachliche Grundlagen und Verzahnungsbereich)

These modules include: Business English 1 (2 SWS) + Business English 2 (2 SWS)

Business English 1 + 2 courses are offered every semester.

No placement test is required for admission to Business English 1. Successful completion of Business English I is required for admission to Business English 2.


  • Betriebswirtschaftslehre

Modulbereich C (Schlüsselqualifikationen) includes: 

Business English 1 (2 SWS) + Business English 2 (2 SWS)

Business English 1 + 2 courses are offered every semester.

No Placement Test is required for admission to Business English 1. Successful completion of Business English I is required for admission to Business English 2.

Modulbereich J: Please read the following information.

2c) What courses should I take if I am enrolled on the International Legal Studies programme?Hide

As you can see from the PO, the courses English for Lawyers 3, 4, 5 & 6 form the language module (Module A) of the International Legal Studies qualification. You can register for these courses directly after completing English for Lawyers 2, i.e. completion of a fourth C1/UNIcert III level course is possible BUT not required. Please also note that English for Lawyers 3, 4, 5 & 6 courses can be taken together in the same semester and in any order. You will find further details here.

3) Can I participate in courses as a member of staff or guest student?Hide

Generally, yes. You can find more information here.​


Placement Test 'Einstufung' (please read carefully)

4) Do I need to take a placement test?Hide


You do NOT NEED to take a placement test for English  ...

If you have already taken a placement test at the UBT or if you wish to sign up for one of the following courses:

SE020-SE050 Englischkurse für Anglistik- und Lehramtsstudierende (open to students registered on Anglophone Studies programmes)

SE060-SE061 Schlüsselqualifikation Business English (open to students on Business programmes) 

SE058 Vorstufenkurs Jura (JAPO §24.2; for Law students only) 

SE261-267 English for Academic Purposes I (EAP I) (open to all students and UBT staff)

SE230-231 English for the Workplace (open to all students and UBT staff)

SE255-256 International Communication in English (open to international students) 

SE280 Medical English C1

SE285 English for Nutrition and Food Science C1


You ONLY NEED to take the placement test ..

If you wish to sign up for a C1 course (UNIcert III or English for Academic Purposes II/EAP II) and you have not already completed a course or taken the placement test at the UBT. Here are the 'entry' level C1 courses, for which the placement test is mandatory: 

SE112 Aufbaukurs Allgmein (General Academic English) 

SE120 Aufbaukurs Jura (Legal English)

SE130 Aufbaukurs Wirtschaft (Business English)

SE272 Scientific & Technical Writing

5) When does the placement test take place and how can I register for it?Hide

You can register for the test via CMlife . You will receive precise details of your slot (date, time & venue) when you register. Placement tests for English courses are currently scheduled for 11, 15-17 April. 

6) Where and when do I register for the placement test?Hide
  • Where: Registration is via CMlife. Enter SPT01 or Placement test in the search field. 
  • When: Registration for the Placement Test opens at 9 a.m. on 5 April.
7) Can I be exempted from the placement test? Hide

Yes. Language certificates (including Abitur) will be recognized provided they were issued no earlier than two years ago. If you wish to be exempted from the placement test, please upload your certificate via this link before registration for language courses begins. It may take up to two days for your documentation to be processed so where possible send us your documentation the week before term (lectures) starts. The following certificate scores will normally qualify you for admission to C1 (Aufbau/EAP II) courses. If your score exceeds the minimum required level you may qualify for participation in an advanced course (see below). You will be informed of this when you send your documentation. 

  • German Abitur: Grade average for English in continuous assessment (Halbjahresleistungen) OR English grade in final Abitur exam (Abiturprüfung)  > 10 points
  • UNIcert II Certificate
  • Cambridge Proficiency: Pass
  • Cambridge Advanced: Grade C: 180-192
  • Cambridge First: Grade B
  • IELTS: Band 6.5
  • TOEFL iBT: 80
  • TOEFL IPT: 543
  • Other certificates may also be recognized - just send us your certificates.
  • Depending on your score in the above certificates, you may also be exempted from the C1 foundation level courses (Aufbaustufe) and/or from EAP I level courses (e.g. Abitur 13 points or higher, TOEFL 95 points or higher). You will also be exempted from these courses if you can show that you completed a three-month internship/period of study in an English-speaking country AFTER leaving high school OR that you spent an academic year in an English-speaking country DURING high school. Just send us the relevant documentation.

Course registration (compulsory)

8) Do I have to register for language courses? And if so, where?Hide
  • Yes, registration is compulsory for all Language Centre courses.  
  • Where: Registration takes place via CMlife. Enter the language or the course code in the search field. Signing up  to the companion e-learning site does count as valid registration for the course.
  • When: You can register for courses in the 1st week of the semester. If you are not registered you will not be permitted to remain in the course. Registration for English courses opens as follows:

Business English 1 & 2 courses on 17 April at 8 a.m.; Anglistik/Lehramt courses on 17 April at 10 a.m.; Jura /Legal English courses on 18 April at 8 a.m.; all other English courses on 18 April at 9 a.m. Registration for all courses closes at midnight on 28 April.  

9) I don't have a matriculation number yet, can I still register for a language course or placement test?Hide

If you do not yet have a matriculation number, this means that your enrolment at the UBT is probably not yet complete. Please contact the Student Administration Office (Studierendenkanzlei) about this. You will only be able to register for language courses after you have received your matriculation number.

10) Will I definitely get a place on the course?Hide

No. Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis. If the course is fully booked and you only receive a place on the waiting list (WL), you will move up the line if/when a student with a firm place (FP) deregisters. Students who are only on the waiting list may NOT attend the course.

11) I can't find the course I would like to attend on CMlife, what's wrong?Hide

If you cannot find a course on CMlife, it usually means that this course is not required for your degree programme.

If you can see a course on CMlife but cannot register, it may mean that do not have the required language level (taken the placement test) or attended the previous course in the programme.

12) Do I have to deregister if I cannot attend a course I have registered for?Hide

Yes. Deregistration is only possible during the registration period (i.e. until the end of the second week of the semester). Students can only move up from the waiting list during this period. Once registration closes, it is not possible to deregister from a course. If you drop out of a course, "X-5,0" will be entered as your course result in CMlife.

13) Can I attend a language course without taking the final exam?Hide

Technically, you can take a course without taking the final exam. However, by doing so, you may be depriving another student of a place in the course and thus of the opportunity to earn credits for the successful and timely completion of their degree. If you do not take the exam, you will not be able to take the follow-up course. In addition, you will receive no credit and ''X-5,0'' will be entered as your result in CMlife.

Course attendance and course completion (examination)

14) Is there compulsory attendance?Hide

Yes, attendance is compulsory for all language courses. You will find further information about permitted absences here.

15) Can I also attend the language course online?Hide

Unfortunately, online participation is not possible.

16) What happens if I drop out of the course?Hide

If you do not complete a course, ''X-5,0" will be entered as your course result in CMlife. You will not receive credit points or a certificate for courses you do not complete.

17) Do I have to register for the final exam at the end of the course?Hide

No. When you register for the course you are automatically registered for the final exam.

18) How many ECTS (credit points) do I get for a language course?Hide

With the exception of Anglistik & Lehramt and English for Lawyers 6 Advanced Mooting (3/4 ECTS), you will receive 2 ECTS on completion of an English course. This may vary slightly from the number of credit points (LP) awarded for the course in your degree programme. The  examinations office (Prüfungsamt) will be able to help you with any questions about this. The Language Centre cannot provide this information.

19) Do I get an official course certificate at the end of a language course?Hide

Yes, on request at the Secretary's Office (Sekretariat) GW I, 0.04; Monday-Friday, 9:00-11:00

20) What certificates can I be awarded in addition to confirmation that I have completed the course?Hide

In addition to the final exam at the end of the course, you can take the UNIcert® examination after completing a particular combination of courses. You can find more information here.

21) I did not pass the course. Can I repeat the exam or do I have to repeat the course?Hide

If you fail the final exam but score at least 40% overall you may repeat the exam (Wiederholungsklausur) without repeating the course. You will be able to retake the exam at the end of the following semester or corresponding block course, if offered. If this applies to you, please fill out this form and submit it directly to the team coordinator for the language in question. You may, of course, opt to repeat the course.

22) I was ill on the day of the final exam. Can I take the exam later?    Hide

If you are ill on the day of the exam you can apply to take a make-up exam (Nachholklausur). This will usually take place as soon as you are well again (medical certificate). Please fill out this form and upload it together with your medical certificate here.  

23) I have an exam in my degree subject at the same time as the final exam in my language course. What should I do?  Hide

If you have an exam in one of your degree subjects at exactly the same time as the final exam in your language course please inform your instructor about this immediately, i.e. as soon as you are aware of the clash. Fill out this form and upload it together with full and documented details of the overlap here.  

This language is taught by:

Bild Redmond

Our English Team (Coordination Mary Redmond)

Information on all lecturers and their office hours can be found here.

Do you still have questions? Then please send an e-mail stating your matriculation number and your degree programme to: mary.redmond@uni-bayreuth.de

Webmaster: Robert Wolf

Facebook Twitter Youtube-Kanal Instagram LinkedIn UBT-A Kontakt