Halo habari yako?
Swahili (or Kiswahilii) is a Bantu language widely spoken in Eastern and Central Africa. Swahili is the native language of the Swahili people, who inhabit the approximately 1500 km long coastal strip from southern Somalia to northern Mozambique. It is also widely spoken in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda and other countries. More than 50 million people speak Swahili, but only 5-10 million of them are native speakers. .
- 1) Which language courses can I attend and when?Hide
Normally, you can attend the following courses:
- SAS01: Swahili Grundkurs 1 (G1)
- SAS02: Swahili Grundkurs 2 (G2) as Blockkurs (Intensive course)
- SAS05: Swahili Aufbaukurs
- SAS03: Swahili Grundkurs 3 (G3)
- SAS04: Swahili Grundkurs 4 (G4) as Blockkurs (Intensive course)
- SAS05: Swahili Aufbaukurs
Please note that the courses can only take place if the minimum number of participants is reached.
- 2) What influence does my previous knowledge have on the choice of my courses?Hide
If you have had previous instruction in a language or knowledge of a language that is very similar, you may be able to start a course at a higher level. A placement test is mandatory in this case. You will find further information about this under "Placement".
- 3) Can I participate in the courses as a member of staff or guest student?Hide
Generally, yes. You will find more information here.
Placement Test 'Einstufung' (Please read carefully!)
- 4) Do I need a placement test?Hide
- If you have previous knowledge of a language, you must take a placement test.
- If you have already taken a course at UBT or a placement test at UBT, you do not need a placement test.
- 5) When does the placement test take place and how can I register for it?Hide
Placement tests always take place in the first week of the semester. Please check your CMlife registration details for the exact dates and venues.
- 6) Where and when do I register for the placement tests?Hide
- Where: The compulsory registration for placement tests takes place via CMlife. Search there for your language and then for "Einstufung".
- When: You can register for the placement tests from 12.10. to 17.10.23.
- 7) Where can I have previously acquired language certificates recognised?Hide
No language certificates are currently recognized for Swahili. If you have official certificates or proof, you can send them to the instructor (email address below).
Course registration (compulsory)
- 8) Do I have to register for a language course? And if so, where?Hide
Yes, registration for courses is mandatory.
- Where: Registration takes place via CMlife. Enter the title or the course code in the search field. Signing up to the companion e-learning site does not count as valid registration for the course.
- When: You can register for the Arabic courses from October 19 at 14.00 until October 29 at midnight. If you are not registered, you cannot participate in the course.
- 9) I don't have an enrolment number yet, can I still register for a language course or a placement test?Hide
If you do not yet have a matriculation number, this means that your enrolment is probably not yet complete. Please contact the Student Administration Office (Studierendenkanzlei) about this. Only then can you register for our language courses.
- 10) Will I definitely get a place on the course?Hide
No. Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis. If the course is fully booked and you only receive a place on the waiting list (WL), you will move up the line if/when a student with a firm place (FP) deregisters. Students who are only on the waiting list may NOT attend the course.
- 11) I can't find my desired course on CMlife, what's wrong?Hide
If you cannot find a course on CMlife, it usually means that this course is not required for your degree program.
If you can see a course on CMlife but cannot register, it may mean that do not have the required language level (taken the placement test) or attended the previous course in the program.
- 12) Do I have to deregister if I cannot attend a course I have registered for?Hide
Deregistration is only possible during the registration period (i.e. until the end of the second week of the semester). Students can only move up from the waiting list during this period. Once registration closes, it is not possible to deregister from a course. If you drop out of a course, "X-5,0" will be entered as your result in CMlife.
- 13) Can I attend a language course without taking the final exam?Hide
Technically, you can take a course without taking the exam. However, by doing so, you may be depriving another student of a place in the course and thus the opportunity to earn credits for the successful completion of their degree. If you do not take exam, you will not be able to take the follow-up course. In addition, you will receive no credit and ''X-5,0'' will be entered as your result in CMlife.
Course attendance and course completion (examination)
- 14) Is there an attendance requirement?Hide
Yes, attendance is compulsory in all language courses. You will find further information here.
- 15) Can I also attend the language course online?Hide
No. Unfortunately, online participation is not possible.
- 16) What happens if I drop out of the course?Hide
If you do not complete a course, ''X-5,0" will be entered as your course result in CMlife. You will not receive credits or a language certificate for courses you do not complete.
- 17) Do I have to register for the language course exam?Hide
No. When you register for the course you are automatically registered for the exam final exam.
- 18) How many ECTS or credit points do I get for a language course?Hide
You will receive 2 ECTS for courses with one session per week and 4 ECTS for courses with two sessions per week. This may vary slightly from the number of credit points (LP) awarded for the course in your degree program. The examinations office (Prüfungsamt) will be able to help you with any questions about this. The Language Centre cannot provide this information.
- 19) Can I get an official certificate at the end of a language course?Hide
Yes, on request at the Secretary's Office (Sekretariat): GW I, 0.04; Monday - Friday 9:00-11:00
- 20) Welche Zertifikate kann ich neben der Kursabschlussprüfung in dieser Sprache erwerben?Hide
Neben der Abschlussprüfung können Sie kein weiteres Zertifikat an der UBT erwerben.
The language is taught by:
Dr. phil. Serena Talento
You can find information about the lecturer here.